And now, for the last post in this series, vampire author, Kevin A. Ranson. Kevin’s series is called The Matriarch and like many of us, he is a fan of Anne Rice’s work.
Let’s find out more about Kevin’s vamps.
- Author name: Kevin A. Ranson
- What is the title of your series? The Matriarch
- How many books are currently for sale or listen? Two
- How many total in the series to date? Four
- What are the books about? “Every October, the freshmen at Glenville State College are told stories about Sis Linn, the local ghost who haunts Clark Hall and the graveyard where she’s buried. Murdered in 1919, she was beaten beyond recognition, the target of a brutal killer who was never caught. Present-day student Janiss Connelly is about to find out that the stories are wrong – and that there are greater things to fear in life and in death than ghosts.”
- Where can readers buy, read, or listen to your vampire series? http://CedarcrestSanctum.com/
The Vampire Matrix
Garlic Fouls the senses Stake Incapacitates but doesn’t kill Sunlight/ UV Reveals undead nature; daytime debilitation Holy water/crosses Unknown Running water No Drowning No Silver No Fire Difficult to regenerate Coffin sleep a must? No but must be in earth Homeland dirt a must? Homeland no; in dirt yes Decapitation Destroys Do they need to be invited in? No Do they sparkle? No Do they cast a shadow? Yes Do they show up on film or video? Yes Do they have a reflection? Yes, but they shun mirrors Eye color change with hunger? Yes (blackens) Blood tears? Yes Die if not fed? No, but will suffer When killed, what is left? Bloody gobbits Eat solid food? No Create offspring by blood? Yes Have sex? Yes Fertile? No Immortal? Seemingly Enhanced strength? Yes Enhanced senses? Yes Enhanced speed? Yes but not preternatural Enhanced healing? Yes Flight? Unknown Shapeshifting? Yes; muscles, talons, fangs, eyes Psychic? Empathic projection Mind control? Yes Does their blood heal mortals? Enhances health, confers thrall immunity What are their fangs like? Retractable, snake-like fangs Skin color when after rebirth: Same at night; corpse in sunlight Attractiveness after rebirth: Allure at night; corpse in sunlight How do they feed? Living human blood no less than an hour extracted What does the mortal experience when fed on? Empathic bliss What do they feed on? Human only? Evil souls only? Living blood only; human only; whatever the market will bear Do they kill? Or only drink? Do they have a conscious? Not required; a few pints suffices unless damaged; evil is a choice but killing through feeing confers a spark of the victim’s soul to the vampire Are there clans or a hierarchy? Makers and progeny
- How is a vamp created in your world? Transformation triggered when vampire blood imbibed exceeds remaining mortal blood lost.
- What happens when they are changed? Transforms, dies, awakens with animalistic thirst.
- Is religion involved in you vamp world and what kind? Religions have been involved with the affairs of vampires throughout history.
- Is war or fighting a big theme in your books? Vampires instinctively compete with one another and are aware of another’s proximity; paranoia guides.
- How did vampires “start” in your world? They were created to fulfill a specific purpose.
- Who are your characters?
- Janiss Connelly – chestnut-haired former student turned against her will but does nothing halfway; embraced her transformation and revealed remarkable control for her vampire age.
- Ian Chrisman – a centuries-old vampire anarchist who delights in movie quotes and playing with fire…figuratively and literally.
- Parham Haley – a Depression-era aristocrat who plays at being a human businessman when not destroying his own kind for peace of mind.
- Who is your favorite vampire writer? Much love for Anne Rice.
- What music goes best with your series? SiriusXM stations Octane & BPM.
- Anything else to say to perspective readers about your series? Cedarcrest Sanctum: sixty residents; forty staff; one immortal. Vampires don’t believe in ghosts.