The Great Vampire Dispute ~ Kristin Battestella’s Vamps
by Emerian Rich
HorrorAddicts.net’s very own Kbatz is here to talk with me today about her killer vamps. Kristin Battestella has 8 published books under her belt with more to come. Let’s find out more about Kbatz’ vamps!
- Author name:
- What is the title of your series? Fate and Fangs: Tales from the Vampire Family
- How many books are currently for sale or listen? 8 ebooks!
- How many total in the series to date? 8 published, possibly 3 more forthcoming
- What are the books about? Antonio Welshire accepts the mysterious Mestiphles’ offer for vampiric power, but fails to consider that not all in his family desires evil. Daughter Victoria revels in the debauchery, but eldest daughter Samantha loathes the darkness. Enemies are in no short supply when the family turns to darkness. Charismatic rebel Gaston turns up to rival for Antonio’s power; the vampire lover Jean can destroy them once and for all, and henchwoman Lilith seeks to supplant Antonio as Mestiphles’ favorite. Who will be declared the victor? And in the end, though they’ve survived coven wars and persecutions since the 12th century, can this vampire family survive each other or will they self destruct before the 21st century?
- Where can readers get your vampire series?http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Kristin%20%20Battestella&search-alias=books&sort=relevancerank
The Vampire Matrix
|Garlic||Problematic indeed!||Stake||You know, I don’t think they encounter stakings at all!|
|Sunlight/ UV||Only for the first 100 years of existence is sunlight harmful for them||Holy water/crosses||Affects the enemy Lilithan vampires, but not the Welshire Family|
|Silver||Not a bother||Fire||Some fear it, others can control it.|
|Coffin sleep a must?||No, they get moody or fashionable about it.||Homeland dirt a must?||No|
|Decapitation||Kills them||Do they need to be invited in?||No|
|Do they sparkle?||HELL NO||Do they cast a shadow?||Yes|
|Do they show up on film or video?||Yes||Do they have a reflection?||It fades over time.|
|Eye color change with hunger?||Yes to red||Blood tears?||On occasion.|
|Die if not fed?||No, just decrepit.||When killed, what is left?||A body that has to be burned.|
|Eat solid food?||Yes, meats mostly.||Create offspring by blood?||Perhaps…|
|Enhanced senses?||Yes||Enhanced speed?||Yes|
|Enhanced healing?||Yes||Flight?||Some Welshire Levitate, the Lilithan enemies turn into crows|
|Shapeshifting?||One side of the Welshires are canine, the other side feline.||Psychic?||Telepathic with their twin siblings and parents/sires|
|Mind control?||For some.||Does their blood heal mortals?||Yes|
|What are their fangs like?||Always there, but extend longer for feeding|
|Skin color when after rebirth:||Pale|
|Attractiveness after rebirth:||Beautiful|
|How do they feed?||Biting the neck or wrist of victims|
|What does the mortal experience when fed on?||Euphoria|
|What do they feed on? Human only? Evil souls only?||Bad vamps kill people, good vamps pick up on bad people or animals.|
|Do they kill? Or only drink? Do they have a conscious?||Most kill without conscious, but there are a few good rebels in the Family|
|Are there clans or a hierarchy?||Yes, The Welshires are a medieval family that become vampires. The Lilithan coven are their rivals.|
- How is a vamp created in your world? The initial Family is created by Mestiphles, a shady satanic figure. Others are by a blood exchange.
- What happens when they are changed? They become immortal.
- Is religion involved in you vamp world and what kind? Some question the ideas of good and evil and Christianity and how they fit into the larger picture.
- Is war or fighting a big theme in your books? The first book The Vampire Family is about the coven wars between the Welshires and Lilithan thru the centuries. The series Fate and Fangs follows individual characters thru their period adventures.
- How did vampires “start” in your world? Mestiphles wants a new race to do his evil bidding, but his plans never seem to pan out the way he intends!
- Who is your top vampire character? Most readers seem to like Victoria, the unabashedly selfish and evil daughter of Antonio. She was born in the 12th century but can’t quite get a handle on the 21st unless it is something that benefits her. Her twin brother James, however, is the opposite, very unhappy at being a vampire, brooding and always signing up for the latest war.
- Who is your favorite vampire writer? I suppose Anne Rice. Until her books there really wasn’t anything other than Dracula to read. That’s why I started writing my own, I wanted to read something that wasn’t being written.
- What music goes best with your series? What do you play to get in the mood for writing these blood-thirsty fiends? It depends on the time period in which I’m writing. Sometimes its medieval chanting and classic music, or seventies witchy rock, or like Evanescence nineties. Sometimes I refer to music in the story itself, and the vampires are called out for some of their atypical or obvious song selections.
- Anything else to say to perspective readers about your series? When Fate and Fangs first came out, I had to tell everyone that it wasn’t like Twilight. Now people tell me they are glad it isn’t like that. Vampire fiction has always been around and is still be published, you just have to know where to look for it!