The Great Vampire Dispute ~ Emerian’s Vamps
by Emerian Rich
Many of you have come up to me over the last couple years to buy books or chat about vampires. The biggest question you ask is if my vampires sparkle or if they are more traditional. After I say they don’t sparkle, you readers inevitably ask the other mythos…
- Can they go in the sun?
- Are they scared of garlic?
- Do they cast reflections?
When you decide I’m the “right” kind of vampire writer, you’ve bought or listened to my work. Thank you for giving me a chance.
Now I am getting questions about other vampire writers. Do they sparkle, do they turn to ash, are they pretty or horrid looking? Because of this big divide in the vampire reading community, I’ve decided to do a blog series on vampire series and attributes of their worlds. I’ve asked many of my vampire-writing friends along on this journey, so you will be getting an insight into many of their works. To start us off, here are my vampire rules.
- Author name: Emerian Rich
- Series Title: Night’s Knights Vampire Series
- How many books are currently for sale or listen? 2 to listen, 1 in print
- How many total in the series to date? There are plans for 4 total
- What is the series about? Vampires on a quest for knowledge attempt to create the perfect offspring, but from the shadows an even more demonic evil threatens their immortality. Markham is a simple Irish immigrant striving for the American dream in 1860 when coach robbers cause his untimely death. Severina is an exotic beauty from the jungles of Brazil whose family is brutally murdered by the same man she later calls lover. Julien is a knight who serves as guardian angel to his family but has no clue about his predestined fate. Will a powerful mortal named Jespa be the one to save them all?
- Where can readers buy, read, or listen to your vampire series? emzbox.com
The Vampire Matrix
|No effect||Stake||Only puts them on pause|
|Sunlight/ UV||Burning, charcoal like skin||Holy water/crosses||No effect|
|Running water||No effect||Drowning||No effect – they can be underwater, they don’t breathe|
|Silver||No effect||Fire||Hurts, and can kill if prolonged and they can’t get out.|
|Coffin sleep a must?||No||Homeland dirt a must?||No|
|Decapitation||Kill||Do they need to be invited in?||No|
|Do they sparkle?||No||Do they cast a shadow?||Yes|
|Do they show up on film or video?||Yes||Do they have a reflection?||Yes|
|Eye color change with hunger?||Sometimes. More with emotion.||Blood tears?||Yes|
|Die if not fed?||No, but severely weak.||When killed, what is left?||Nothing. A little dust *see what happens when they change.|
|Eat solid food?||No||Create offspring by blood?||Yes|
|Have sex?||They don’t think so, but then find they can.||Fertile?||No|
|Enhanced senses?||Yes||Enhanced speed?||Yes|
|Mind control?||Yes||Does their blood heal mortals?||Yes|
|What are their fangs like?||Normal two-fang type|
|Skin color when after rebirth:||Paler|
|Attractiveness after rebirth:||Enhanced|
|How do they feed?||Bite – anywhere.|
|What does the mortal experience when fed on?||Normally they control the thoughts and feelings of the victim to think it’s wonderful.|
|What do they feed on? Human only? Evil souls only?||Mortals or animals. Some have rules.|
|Do they kill? Or only drink? Do they have a conscious?||Most kill. Some drink. Some have a conscious.|
|Are there clans or a hierarchy?||Not clans, but there are four major sires they derive from.|
- How is a vamp created in your world? They are fed on until mostly dead. Then fed the blood of their sire.
- What happens when they are changed? After the blood of their Sire takes hold, and their mortal body dies, they rise from their mortal shell and the shell turns to dust. Their remaining body is solid, but only vaguely human. When they are killed for good, very little dust or mass is left.
- Is religion involved in your vamp world and what kind? Yes. One coven of vampires is in this series. They worship as followers of Christ and kill evil doers. They have massive rules and ritual involved.
- Is war or fighting a big theme in your books? It’s not a big theme, but there are several different wars that occur over killing the big bad.
- How did vampires “start” in your world? If you haven’t read book one, I don’t want to give it away because it is a big reveal, but basically they were created by an otherworldly being.
- Who are your top vampire characters?
1.) Severina is made to be a Brazilian vampire cult member in 1502.
2.) Markham is in the American old west, 1860 when coach robbers cause his untimely death. Severina makes Markham a vampire to save his life.
3.) Julien is a Brit, created by a vampire who is going to eat him as prey, but reads his thoughts and finds he has a higher purpose to fulfill in Italy, 1533.
- Who is your favorite vampire writer? Anne Rice – Love her vamps. I also enjoy the different vampires Andrew Neiderman tries in his stand-alone books Blood Child and The Need.
- What music goes best with your series? What do you play to get in the mood for writing these blood-thirsty fiends? I listen to horror scores like Dracula by Philip Glass and Kronos Quartet and Interview With The Vampire: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by Elliot Goldenthal. If it’s fight time, Disturbed or The Queen of the Damned soundtrack kicks it in to high gear for me.
- What would you like to say to the vampire fans? As a fellow vampire lover, I hope you found this post informative and check out the other authors who will be sharing their vampire mythos. Through this vampire exploration, I hope you find another vampire author you enjoy.